Saturday, September 5, 2015

I'm baaaack...and so is football, baby!

After a ridiculously long break...hiatus? offseason? whatever you wanna call it...I'm back! 
And in perfect time, too. I mean have you seen the cuts and roster moves being made around the NFL?! Making my head spin, you guys.

Now, for me to sit here and talk about every single cut and/or trade that surprised me, we would be here for like 3 days...because do you know how much I can talk about football?

Anyway, to kick things off again, let's start with the 4 cuts that surprised me the most, and left me scratching my head:

  1. Tim Tebow, released by the Eagles. Now, to say that I honestly did not see this one coming would be a lie. I do not agree with this move at all, though, because hello, did anyone see the preseason performances he had?? He looked absolutely brilliant in Chip Kelly's offense...ya know the offensive scheme where he's trying to turn the NFL Philadelphia Eagles into the NCAA Oregon Ducks? But anyway, that's another post for another day. And hey, whatever works, ya know. But...Tim Tebow deserved a spot on that 53 man roster and trust me, I firmly believe that in about 4 - 5 weeks, if not sooner, the Eagles organization will regret cutting Tebow and keeping Sanchez. Tim Tebow not only fit into Kelly's offense incredibly well, he also brought a different vibe to the team, creating a different attitude and atmosphere...one that only boosted the Eagles, and during the preseason, made them look like legit contenders for a deep postseason run. I won't say that Tebow made the Eagles Super Bowl contenders...not this season, anyway...but over the next couple seasons? Absolutely. Look at how well he did in the preseason. A year or two of experience with that receiving corp and offensive line, to mesh and create chemistry? You can't tell me that wouldn't have been scary...unfortunately the good guys always get the short end of the stick. In Tebow's case, it almost feels like no matter what he does or where he goes, he will never be given the chance to make a final 53 man roster as a quarterback. No, he does not want to be used only for special plays and wildcat formations...he wants to be able to do what he did in Florida, and what he did in Denver...and do it even better. And believe me, he could and would. Best of luck to Tebow. Hopefully some team gives him the chance he honestly deserves and he absolutely exceeds all expectations. Good luck, man. 
  2. Jonas Gray, cut by my Pats. So when I got the notification about this cut, my reaction was kind of like: "um, excuse me what?" in a typical, dumb blonde, valley girl voice. So let's get this straight; no LeGarrette Blount for our regular season opener vs Pittsburgh...no Stevan Ridley because he's a Jet now (gross), annnd not even Shane Vereen to fall back on, because he's now a Giant (seriously, did anyone else just get sick, too?). I guess we can survive one week with James White, but when he wasn't in Belichick's doghouse, Jonas Gray was running all over opposing teams. I mean he was literally abusing defenses around the league. So this cut came as a surprise to me to say the least. I can't say I like it, or even agree with it, but obviously the Pats have a plan. Let's goooo.
  3. Devon Still, released by the Bengals. This one broke my heart, on more than just simply a football level. By now, everyone is aware of Devon's daughter, Leah's, battle with cancer. Over the past two seasons, Leah and Devon have captured the hearts of millions of football fans across the world. Leah's unfortunate disease keeps her in and out of doctor's offices and hospital rooms. Still is a good football player and can tear up the defensive tackle position, perfect fit for a team lacking aggression and needing that spark on defense. 
  4. Redskins' decision to keep RGIII. This was a highly questionable decision to me. We know for a fact that Kirk Cousins is starting in Washington this season, not RGIII; and it's pretty obvious Jay Gruden wants to move on from RGIII, who is injury prone, and in my opinion, doesn't fit in Washington's scheme anymore. Sure, he looked good and led the Redskins to the playoffs in his rookie season...but what has he done since then? Defenses picked up on his playing style, and injuries have plagued RGIII all throughout his NFL career...personally, I think it's in Washington's best interest to part ways with RGII, whether it's via trade or just flat out cutting him. Does this mean RGII can't and won't be successful playing with another team in the NFL? Not at all. In fact, maybe he goes to a different team, wins the starting role, and absolutely dominates. I just don't see that happening in Washington. (seriously, how was Tebow cut and RGII not? Man the NFL gives me headaches.)
Basically, absolutely nothing should come as a surprise in the NFL anymore. Every season around this time, gives us further proof that literally anything is possible. But at the end of the day, every day,  football still has my heart...and my undivided attention...and a lot of my money...annnd yeah. Basically, football is my life and it's been that way for the past 10 years and that will probably never change. 

So glad to be back writing and I cannot wait to get back to posting more often. BUT...most importantly...I cannot wait to watch Tom Brady and Co. tear it up this season. 

As always, GO PATS. (man did i miss that.)

No comments:

Post a Comment